Please join the Board of Directors, Management and Employees of Southern Pine Electric Cooperative for the 80th Annual Membership Meeting on Thursday, November 8, 2018, at the new building complex located on Highway 28 in Taylorsville, Mississippi.
Events open at noon with Lunch with a Lineman, member service booths and exhibits with the business meeting to begin at 2:00 p.m. Showcasing 80 years of service, members will enjoy a nostalgia look at life before electricity and the birth of Southern Pine. Take a step back in time as women heated irons over an open fire, washtubs were used to wash clothes and coal-oil lamps were the only source of light. Watch in awe as wringer washing machines, the first refrigerators, and electric irons came to South Mississippi in the early 1940s. Visit with some of Southern Pine’s first members and early employees as they share stories about life before electricity and the challenges they faced.
Members will receive a commemorative 80-year history book, Making Life Better, while supplies last, one per household, first-come-first serve. Must be present at the meeting to receive the limited production book.
- The home-audit department will have an exhibit offering literature on energy conservation, free LED bulbs, and suggestions on ways to control energy use during extreme cold or hot weather.
- Stop by the low-income energy assistance [LIHEAP] booth to meet with officials, pick up applications, and other information on funds that may be available to help pay your utility bills this winter.
- Visit member services to take advantage of the opportunity to sign up for automatic bank draft and receive a $25 credit to your account.
- Southern Pine district managers will be on-site to meet one-on-one with members to answer any questions and address any district concerns.
- Southern Pine Electric designed 12 commemorative rocking chairs that will be given away at this year’s Annual Membership Meeting.
- We will honor our members, veterans, law enforcement and elected officials at this special event.
In addition, meet with employees from the engineering department, information technology department, view safety demonstrations and join with us as we honor our veterans, law enforcement officials, and announce the adopt-a-school for 2019. Members may register at each booth for a chance to win a gift and all members present for the business meeting will be entered into a grand prize drawing for a pick-up and other prizes.
Join key staff from the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association [NRECA] as they take to the stage to share national goals and concerns with Southern Pine’s members, along with managers from the Electric Cooperatives of Mississippi, and managers, boards of directors and employees from other rural distributions cooperatives throughout our state. Southern Pine and members working together to supply a common need—affordable electricity—and to make life better for rural Mississippians for 80 years!
The mission of Southern Pine Electric’s board of directors and employees is to enhance the quality of life of our members and community by safely providing reliable electric energy at an affordable price.